In the kitchen with my mom, and we found ourselves baking walnut brownies. I have so much to learn, but she is such a wonderful teacher!
Really simple recipe (adapted from here based on what we had):
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
And here is what to do:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking pan, in our case, a cast iron skillet!
- Melt the butter over low heat. Pour into large mixing bowl and stir in cocoa powder, sugar, flour, and vanilla. Mix in egg whites and half of the walnuts.
- Spread evenly into the baking pan (or cast iron skillet).
- Top the brownies with the 2nd half of walnuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 30-45 minutes before cutting.
And of course, adjust as you see fit – based on what you have.
Warning: These are so good, we have made them twice in the last three days!